Special music will be Florence + the Machine, Ship to Wreck - for your listening enjoyment.
Small groups are the lifeblood of the Surge, prayer, study, relationships and food happen every week across northern VA with folks, so if you haven't plugged in, do so this week - you won't regret it.
This afternoon, Karen (harpist for the Marine Band) is coordinating a concert at 2pm at the Marine Barracks in DC. The concert is free and it's going to be some great music. She'll be playing on several pieces - and you ALL are invited!
Also, suitcases! Here’s the scoop:
- The Surge is collecting suitcases to help local victims of human trafficking. Often victims that are rescued don’t have any belongings and what they do have they transport in garbage bags.
- The suitcases will be provided to the Northern Virginia Human Trafficking Initiative (NOVA HTI), a faith-based organization that connects the local community with those on the Front Lines and helps to coordinate services for those that are rescued.
- Virginia is 1 of 10 states that make the most calls to the National Human Trafficking Hotline and a large percentage of these calls are made from Northern Virginia. Sadly, Northern Virginia has become one of the Top 10 teen trafficking areas in the nation.
- As Christians we are called to help the oppressed (Isaiah 1:17) and providing for the practical needs of victims helps to provide hope to those affected by this injustice and is a good way to make a difference.
- If you are interested in donating a new or used suitcase, please feel welcome to bring it to the Church or contact Joni to arrange pick-up.
- Donations and gift cards for Target, Wal-Mart (or just plain Visa!) are greatly needed and are used to meet victim’s basic needs. Please feel welcome to place those in the offering and earmark accordingly.